free geoip Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100% - Jayson's Blog - jaysonKnight.com
Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%

As I’m sure everyone is aware, IE7 beta 2 has been released.  Unfortunately it’s completely unusable for me as it pegs my processor at 100% for any and all web pages and has to be zapped via task manager to kill it.  Fortunately, the IE team has opened up their bug database to the general public, and as is also mentioned in that post they are offering free phone support for the beta (that’s a pretty bold move, but a very welcome one…good job Microsoft) so perhaps I’ll phone them up as I need to get cracking with IE7.

Sidenote:  Firefox has been acting very strange lately (and of course I know it’s extension related).  I’d say about 4 times in as many months it has “forgotten” all of it’s settings/url history/cookies/etc.  Wierd.

Posted Wed, Apr 26 2006 2:45 PM by Jayson Knight

Comments

Geoff Appleby wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Thu, Apr 27 2006 3:20 AM
Since B2 came out, I've done two installs of it. One on a friends machine, one on mine. Mine went without a hitch, his had the same problem as you've described.

We uninstalled IE7, proved that IE6 was working fine again, then reinstalled IE7, making sure there were adequate reboots between each test :)  The reinstall worked fine, and the 100% cpu problem has disappeared.  Might be worth trying on your machine?

--Geoff
Keyvan Nayyeri wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Thu, Apr 27 2006 5:32 AM
I haven't checked IE 7 Beta 2 yet but FF was terrible in last months. How can I do when there are several extensions installed on my browser and I need them then they clear them in one second?!
I love Opera, it's absolutely better than them both but unfortunately most of applications don't try to support it as well and it doesn't show js codes Sad [:(]
Geoff Appleby wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Fri, Apr 28 2006 9:56 AM
Update: I just succumbed and installed IE7 on my work machine :)   I had the same problem after it had installed, but I managed to fix it.

I had the Developers toolbar installed. It wasn't activated (no toolbar or explorer bar showing) but it was enough to cause the problem. I closed IE, uninstalled the toolbar, and then opened IE again - and now she's all working good.

And now that I've done that, I remember that on the computer we did the reinstall on, we also uninstalled the dev toolbar and the beta WinFX bits before reinstalling IE7.

And I also remember reading in the release notes that the dev toolbar (except for the very latest build) is incompatible. But I'm surprised it had this effect without even being activated :)
Wessam Zeidan wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Fri, Apr 28 2006 11:16 AM
The same thing happened with me when I first installed it, but I fixed the problem by disabling the phishing filter. Start IE without addons and disable the phishing filter, it should work fine after that.
Jayson Knight wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Fri, Apr 28 2006 5:40 PM
Geoff, you nailed it my man...uninstalling the dev toolbar fixed the issue. Nice regression there ;-)! Thanks for the tip.
Geoff Appleby wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Tue, May 2 2006 12:50 PM
No worries dude - glad to be of help :)
Robert R. Brown wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Sun, Oct 15 2006 4:39 PM

It' not just 7...  6 does it too especially after what ever update was a couple of days ago. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it yet. Some times it fine then it will start creeping up or it just locks and you have to close or open something else to regain control over IE. Weird...

Hope they fix it and soon...

Bob

Acid wrote re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 -- Processor Pegged at 100%
on Fri, Nov 9 2007 6:35 AM

Had the same problem with IE 7, sorted after uninstalling Yahoo Toolbar, Thanks Geoff