free geoip Don't Piss Google Off, It's a One Way Street - Jayson's Blog - jaysonKnight.com
Don't Piss Google Off, It's a One Way Street

It’s been a little over a week since I was dropped from the Google index; I foolishly installed some compsci student’s code without reading the fine print over at the Google Terms of Service which mandate that if you write code that uses their index, you must invariably include the Google logo.  Incredibly enough, the above mentioned blogger hasn’t revised his code to include said logo, he only has a disclaimer posted saying to do so, and of course by the time I realized I needed the Google logo it was too late.  There is the saying “caveat emptor”, but I still believe his code was posted with wreckless abandon.  His site states “I (David Cumps) cannot be held responsible for any damage what-so-ever that might come from this blog.”, but to me that’s the equivalent of saying “I cannot be held responsible for any moronic people I kill before I’ve had my morning coffee”…in other words, please do your research first.  If this had been a site I make money off of, the results would have been pretty severe; hell I’m mad enough having been dropped from the index period (I still have not been reindexed, even after half a dozen emails to Google letting them know that I goofed and that I’ve removed the offending code (and of course hearing absolutely nothing back)…I’ve done everything short of Phil’s recommendation of sacrificing a goat, but not for lack of trying to find one roaming the streets of Charlotte).

I’m also a little peeved with Google; there are already some camps out there comparing their search monopoly to Microsoft…i.e. they can seemingly do whatever they want whenever they want with the firm belief that whomever they piss off in their wake will invariably have to come back to Google if they want to have any kind of recognition in the search realm.  It’s been 9 days since I sent the first email to them and have heard nothing.  Even the so called “evil empire” in Redmond has emailed me back the few times I’ve had to contact them…I even received a reply to an open letter I sent to Steve Ballmer, albeit just a “thanks” and it was probably typed up by one of his (probable) legions of assistants.  Regardless, I feel a bit abused…a warning would have been nice, or even better just a clear channel to reconcile the issue, i.e. “Google, I fucked up…here’s what I’ve done to fix it, please reindex me”.  But it would appear I will have to wait until their next round of indexing before I start getting some traffic around here (averaging 25 uniques a day, as opposed to 400+ when I was indexed…not a ton, but at least I was getting some interesting comments).

It’s like a bad relationship where the sex is really good, inevitably you keep going back until something better comes along.  Cheers.

Posted Wed, Jan 26 2005 7:05 PM by Jayson Knight

Comments

David Cumps wrote re: Don't Piss Google Off, It's a One Way Street
on Thu, Jan 27 2005 1:59 PM
You surely change moods quickly... First you reply at my blog you aren't complaining and that it's not the end of the world and now you are doing the opposite..

When I first posted the code, I didn't know those terms untill somone pointed them out to me, then I immediately edited my post to inform everyone about it.

"He who never offers anything can't do anything wrong". I did my research, my sources are in the post, but indeed, I have never researched legal terms. You are ofcourse a lot older then me and know everything much better and can inform your readers, I am still learning and posting suggestions, you have the choice of looking into it yourself and deciding whether or not to include the search.

Anyway, don't say A in the comments and B on your blog.
TrackBack wrote If You Blog It, They Will Come
on Fri, Jan 28 2005 12:24 AM
TrackBack wrote If You Blog It, They Will Come
on Fri, Jan 28 2005 12:24 AM
TLC wrote re: Don't Piss Google Off, It's a One Way Street
on Fri, Jan 28 2005 5:29 PM
Or maybe A was 9 days ago and B is 9 days later. I'd be singing a different tune too.
jayson knight wrote re: Don't Piss Google Off, It's a One Way Street
on Fri, Jan 28 2005 9:08 PM
@ David

Well, you said to "stop coming back on it" on your blog, so I decided to do a little venting on mine. Getting dropped from Google (for whatever reason) is the internet equivalent of C:\> FORMAT C:, so the frustration should be apparent. I lambasted Google as well, so I'm an equal opportunity chastiser...trust me, they got an earful from me in the emails I sent them. Did it accomplish anything? Who knows. Do I feel a little better? Most definitely.

I personally HATE TOS's; all the legalese makes my brain hurt, but we all walk away having learned something in the end, and that's the most important thing that will have made it all worth it (sort of ;-)). Cheers.
AT wrote re: Don't Piss Google Off, It's a One Way Street
on Fri, Feb 25 2005 11:08 PM
As first person who pointed out legal troubles - I feel that I will be also first who will post another crazy idea:

Google did not enforce this TOS. If they do – delisting is not a best way for this.
This is useless activity to enforce it. This does not result in people change their search box code. As well - this does not make Google earn more money. Even more - enforcing TOS in this way will result in harm for Google - as threads/posting like this one will be created and will damage Google reputation.

I feel that your site was banned due to AdSense + JavaScript using google.com address deadly combination. This is something that Google can and does enforce. They need to keep AdSense money flow - so they will definitely use some tools to detect cheaters. One of possible fraud they are trying to detect - is JavaScript automated clicking.

Thus - I suspect there is high probability that your website were removed due to JavaScript + AdSense combination.
But I still see some flaws in my judgment - if this were related to AdSense - then they will simply show public ads instead of paid one on your site. Or do not pay any money - but not delete from index.

There is something really strange with this story. Do not believe anything you see and feel. There are something unpredictable/unexpected happened.
protected virtual void jaysonBlog { wrote Best of JaysonKnight.com -- Happy New Year!
on Fri, Dec 30 2005 1:38 AM
One thing that really bugs me about blogs is that it’s still really damn hard to find specific...