free geoip How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads - Jayson's Blog - jaysonKnight.com
How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
I have had my first paying publication (it's always nice to actually get paid for stuff, and to be honest, I didn't even realize I was going to be paid for this submission until well after I submitted it...I didn't do it for the money).  It's a short blurb in the June issue of “Windows and .Net Magazine” in the Reader to Reader department in both the online version of the magazine, as well as in the printed edition.  I don't remember how I came across the solution (it was many many years ago), but it has definitely come in handy.  I also do not know why IE limits the number of concurrent downloads to 2 (I think it was legal reasons, something to do with the FCC), but the registry hack mentioned in the blurb takes care of that.  Oh, and yes...I am an IE user (I know, I know...security holes, rendering problems, CSS issues...old habits die hard).  I do occasionally fire up Mozilla; however I am by no means a Mozilla expert.  That being said, I would like to know what other people's experiences with other web browsers are concerning the number of concurrent downloads:  Do other browsers (Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, Safari, etc) have this limitation built in?  I am venturing a guess that the next version of IE will not have this limitation due to the fact that it will have a built in download manager (finally), however Microsoft has stated that future versions of IE will not be available as a seperate download (boo Microsoft)...you will have to purchase the entire OS.  I will attempt to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt and hope their reasons for doing so are technically based, not business related.  If anyone has any information to back up either, I would love to see it.  In the meantime, happy downloading!

Posted Thu, Jun 3 2004 4:05 PM by Jayson Knight

Comments

Orion Adrian wrote re: How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
on Fri, Jun 4 2004 7:04 AM
Woohoo! First commenter.

I use Firefox which also limits you to two (2) downloads per server. But it will remember the downloads you requested and start them when a current download finishes.

Orion Adrian
Ray Deese wrote re: How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
on Fri, Jun 4 2004 11:43 PM
Thats awesome Jayson, thanks for the tip!

And congrats for getting paid on it as well!
Edwin Martin wrote re: How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
on Sat, Jul 24 2004 10:39 PM
In Firefox, you can increase the maximum number of simultaneous downloads.

Just type about:config in the URL-bar and change the setting for network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server. E.g. make it 10.

You can also edit one of the .js-files it reads at startup.
Sergey Kalmakov wrote re: How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
on Thu, Sep 30 2004 1:34 AM
Thanks for the idea, Edwin!
I have experimented with the setting in Mozilla Firefox 1.0RC.
Effectively, it limits you still to 8 concurrent server connection -- even when I defined 10.
Still, 8 is better than 2.
fukov wrote re: How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
on Sun, Jan 2 2005 2:49 AM
Dont resort to insecure betaware like Firefox.

In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
(Or HKLC)
On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=Dword:0000000a
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=Dword:0000000a

You can change 0000000a to any other value as long as it's hexadecimal.

Close the registry editor.

This will give you the max of 10 DLs at a time.
jayson knight wrote re: How To Increase the Number of Concurrent Internet Explorer Downloads
on Tue, Jan 4 2005 12:52 PM
@fukov

you obviously didn't read my post...you're half a year late to the party ;-).
protected virtual void jaysonBlog { wrote Best of JaysonKnight.com -- Happy New Year!
on Fri, Dec 30 2005 1:38 AM
One thing that really bugs me about blogs is that it’s still really damn hard to find specific...